Get my Breaking World News by E-MAIL

SEARCH THIS BLOG.

Subscribe to my World News Updates

Translate

MY MUSIC CELEBRITY PHOTO ALBUM

Thursday, December 24, 2015

#DrBuhari under CLOSE WATCH by Human Rights Groups as 300 bodies are deposited in #Zaria Morgues by ARMY #HNNGov

Zaria clash: 191 arraigned as HRW urges probe

The Kaduna State government yesterday said the state police command had released 83 people who were arrested during the recent clash between members of the Islamic Movement in Nigeria and the Nigerian Army in Zaria.

A statement from Samuel Aruwan, the media aide to the state governor, said 191 suspects had been arraigned in court over various offenses including obstruction of highways, possession of weapons and attacking security agents.
Those released include 34 juveniles and 49 women. Aruwan said the suspects had been remanded pending the conclusion of investigations which may lead to charges being filed at the state High Court or Federal High Court. 

The government urged residents of Gyellesu in Zaria who fled their homes as a result of the incident to return home as security agencies had been permanently stationed in the area to provide security.
“Citizens whose belongings were abandoned on the streets, including vehicles, motorcycles and other property are advised to retrieve them upon identification and proof of ownership. Citizens running lawful businesses in the area are also advised to go about their normal businesses without any hindrance in accordance with the law,” the statement added. 

It said all security agencies in the state had been briefed to ensure adequate security across the state for the Maulud, Christmas and New Year festivities.

Meanwhile, the Human Rights Watch said yesterday in a statement that the killing of the sect members was unjustified, and advised that the Judicial Commission of Inquiry set up by the government should be sufficiently independent and impartial to hold those responsible to account.

The group said it interviewed 16 witnesses to the killings and five others, including local authorities who said security forces fired on members of the group at three locations in Zaria, killing. But the army said its confrontation with the sect members who had erected a roadblock near a mosque resulted from an assassination attempt on the Chief of Army Staff, Lt. Gen. Tukur Buratai, whose convoy was passing through the procession route. In an internal military document seen by Human Rights Watch, the army said protesters appeared to be taking up positions near the back of the convoy, but the group disputed the claim.
It said lists compiled by sect members from the Ahmadu Bello University Teaching Hospital records showed that between December 13 and 15, soldiers deposited more than 300 bodies at the hospital’s four morgues.

Blog Archive